Canning Jars, Lids and Rings Recommendations
This post includes affiliate links.
Canning jars, lids, and rings are some of the most important things you can purchase. They are an investment, but many of the components can be used multiple times, so they’re worth it – especially if you buy quality products to start with.
Starting in 2020, there was a big shortage on a lot of things – including canning supplies. Unfortunately, this flung the doors wide open for cheap knock offs sold through online companies such as Amazon. Many people found that they purchased canning jars and lids that bore the name of reputable companies such as Ball and Kerr, only to find out that the quality they expected from these companies just wasn’t there.
When all of that started happening, I shifted to buying canning supplies from local retailers such as Walmart (rather than buying them online from Walmart). I also shifted my online purchases to smaller companies such as Lehman’s. Not only did that give me the assurance that I was buying quality products, it also gave me an opportunity to support smaller, family-owned businesses.
Knowing that many of you still want the convenience of shopping from Amazon, I will include links to Amazon that are either from the official Ball store or from reputable sellers.
Canning Jars, Lids, and Rings
Canning jars are of course one of the most important investments you can make as a prepper. If you take good care of them, they can outlive you! The key, of course, is to buy quality right from the start. When it comes to canning jars and lids, I still recommend the Ball/Kerr brand of jars.
Check out the selection of Ball and Kerr branded jars and lids from Lehman’s.
Authentic Ball Jars and Lids
Here are some of the options available on Amazon. Note that these are from the official Ball store on Amazon, so you can rest assured they are authentic.
- Ball regular mouth 16-oz (pint) jars and lids
- Ball wide mouth 16-oz (pint) jars and lids
- Ball regular mouth 32-oz (quart) jars and lids
- Ball wide mouth 32-oz (quart) jars and lids
- Ball wide mouth 64 oz (half gallon) jars and lids
Ball Specialty Jars and Lids
These jars and lids available on Amazon go beyond the typical canning jars and lids. Note that some of the lids are not for canning, but for storage. (I’ll let you know when that’s the case.)
- Ball Nesting Mason Jar Set (wide mouth pints). These are new to me, but a very cool concept! The empty jars nest, which makes it possible to store more unfilled jars in small space. Especially if you have limited room to store your empty canning jars, this option should help!
- Ball amber-colored, wide-mouth pint jars
- Ball amber-colored wide-mouth quart jars
- Ball amber-colored wide-mouth half-gallon jars
- Ball Rose-Vintage regular mouth pint canning jars
- Ball Rose-Vintage regular mouth quart canning jars (so pretty!)
- Ball Jar Wooden Storage Lids, Regular Mouth and Wide Mouth – GORGEOUS! But not for canning. Use them for dry storage in your pantry. If you store dried food in mason jars and want a classier look, these lids are the way to go.
Superb Canning Lids
While I’ve long been a fan of Ball/Kerr products, occasionally something else comes on the market that are just as good, if not better. That is the case with Superb canning lids. They are actually thicker than Ball lids and also seem to have thicker sealing compound.
Reusable Canning Lids
After I experienced the canning supply shortage in 2020, I decided to, as much as possible, purchase reusable items, including canning lids. I’ll be honest – I still prefer metal canning lids. But I love having these reusable canning lids in my stash, and use them at least half of the time. I recommend always having at least one set of both regular and wide mouth reusable canning lids in your stash at all times. I personally have several sets so that I’m better positioned to can no matter what’s happening with the supply chain.
Here’s what’s currently available on Amazon.
- Tattler regular mouth lids – package of 12
- Tattler wide mouth lids – package of 12
- Tattler starter pack – 3 dozen regular mouth and 3 dozen wide mouth – If I was starting from scratch, this is what I’d buy
- Tattler regular mouth lids and gaskets – box of 12 dozen (buying in bulk costs more up front, but this is the most economical way to go)